Monday, July 30, 2012

i'm going for a gold medal in couch surfing

Like most people in the world who own a tv, the hub and I like watching the Olympics. Sometimes I only make it through the opening ceremonies, like when Britton was little and demanded more attention.  But now, with so much coverage at night I'm finally able to pry the remote from Britton's hands and watch it myself. I love the swimming and the running, but my favorite hands down is gymnastics. Who could forget that magic Kerri Strug vault where she landed on some broken/sprained/injured ankle and Coach Bella carried her off the mat?  I'm too young to remember Mary Lou Retton (finally, too YOUNG for something!) but I do remember that vault.

 Somehow, even though my head knows better, I figure I could learn to swim well, run well, even play volleyball well. Not good mind you, but good enough. But gymnastics? It's past my demographic. Put it on the list of "Things Carrie Will Never Accomplish," along with moving to New York City and liking red wine.

Britton watched some of the gymnastics portions on Sunday, and wants to do it all badly.  "Flip me like the girls!  No, like them!"  To prevent Britton from attempting tumbling passes across the yard, the hub taught her how to do a backbend off of the couch, into a handstand, then flip her legs over her head.  She's now a pro at it!  She started doing her ballet positions this morning, and I know now that I will be stuck signing her up for ballet and gymnastics when every other fool is doing it, all because of the Olympics!  Now I just need to find a dance school that offers classes on Saturday morning.  But really, how awesome is it when your kid gets excited about learning something new?

Of course, if gymnastics doesn't work, there's always swimming......




1 comment: