Tuesday, July 3, 2012

more fun than paperwork? painting!

The hubs and I are finalizing our paint colors for our new [to us] house.  Ever since seeing an article in "Better Homes and Gardens" about grey paint, I've been hooked.  I've always decorated in a coastal/beachy theme, and the truth is I'm ready to move away from that.  Not completely away, but less "Nags Head beach house" and more "lake house meets Pottery Barn."  

Our new family room has light carpeting, and is bordered in white wainscoting.  One wall is completely lined in bookcases, which will promptly be painted white as soon as I get the keys in my hand.  We are painting the family room grey, but wouldn't you know it - there are 500 greys.  I think we've narrowed it down to:

"Winter Gates" by Benjamin Moore



"Winter Gates" in a room...
photo from http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=91151

And "Storm"
photo from http://yournestdesign.blogspot.com/2011/11/questions-from-readers-answered.html

I asked Britton what color she wanted her room, and the answer was not-so-surprisingly PINK.  After the nursery fiasco of picking a too-bright pink, I'm going with subtle.  We're using the same white bed, white dresser, and pink/purple/green quilt.  Since I have to leave all my curtains with the old house and can't use my pink gingham curtains, we're going with lavender gingham curtains this time around so as not to have too much pink.

"Pink Peony"



"Pink Elephant"
All other colors are up in the air!  The kitchen needs a backsplash, so we're waiting until we finalize that before deciding on a paint color.  And the dining room and living room are already a beautiful blue (much like "Beach Glass" from Benjamin Moore) so the color already works for us.  I'm just going to have to be patient (so unlikely, I know) and wait to get into the house to see what will work.



2 comments:

  1. Ooohhhh-I love that Storm color! I've been going nuts looking for the perfect gray for our powder room. Problem is I have no Benjamin Moore around here... I also love the Pink Elephant color-looks almost peachy. I can't wait to see everything you pick out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am leaning towards Storm! Looks incredible with all the white woodwork. Do you have an Ace Hardware close by? They sell Benjamin Moore now!

    ReplyDelete