Friday, June 1, 2012

gabe's quilt

I've known Allison since 2008, when we worked together.  She is a great person, very kind and warm and one of the easiest people to get along with.  We've kept in touch during my many moves, and months ago she told me that she and her husband were finally going to be parents!  Very exciting, yes, especially because they've had to wait so long. This is a child that has been wished for, dreamt of for a very long time.  And the wait is nearly over because next week, their son Gabe will be born.

And  of course Gabe needed a little baby quilt....


Allison is decorating the nursery in trains, but dang it all if I couldn't find any cute train fabric.  So I used these vintage cowboys and some coordinating patterns in red, blue, green, and tan.  Simple patchwork, with some blocks showcasing scenes from the cowboy print.  Straight line stitching on both sides of the seams.

And the back...


A close-up of the front - dots, gingham, cherries, stars, and little cowboys.


Yes, I usually love me some striped binding.  But this quilt was calling for a gingham binding!


What are little boys made of?
Frogs and snails
And puppy dog tails.
That's what little boys are made of.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Melissa! Baby quilts are my favorite - they can be cute and cuddly and picking fabric is more fun than the more "mature" fabrics for an adult quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carrie! We love the quilt. We are just a few days away from meeting Gabe and we can't wait.

    ReplyDelete