Monday, April 25, 2011

to the zoo

With Britton's meltdown on Friday, we put off the Fort Worth Zoo until Sunday morning. It was our Easter morning service of sorts. Right off the bat the first thing I spied was a mullet, in its natural habitat (a public place), and so nonchalantly snapped a picture of the zoo's entrance to catch it before it ran away.



The excitement of spotting a mullet so early in our trip drove Britton into a frenzy (or was that the 500 jelly beans she ate?) and we were on our way. First stop - the flamingos. Grandma and Paw Paw used to live in Florida, so they aren't roused up by flamingos, and me being from a tourist city I am used to the plastic variety in front yard flower beds.



Britton spotted a rhino in the distance and was entranced. She needed Paw Paw to get her a better vantage point.



This zoo is awesome because they had at least five elephants - my favorite animal ever. We spotted this male elephant separated from the others, and he went straight for the fence to get a taste of the landscaping just beyond it. As Grandma said, "The grass is always greener."



Am I the only one who thinks this gorilla is doing his best impersonation of me when I'm in desperate need of a nap? Britton loved the gorillas, though I strongly suspect I may have called all the primates "monkey" since she knows what a monkey is.





Another of my favorites - the turtle. The turtles were not afraid to come up to the window for Britton to get a good peek. And Grandma was fine with letting me dwaddle for a while if it meant we didn't have to walk through the snake exhibit again.



We all loved the parakeet that said "Hello!" to us! And then the hub, who was still nursing a sad heart because the meerkats were not out, spotted these lemurs. And one was giving another a backrub!



Three generations of girls.



All in all, a great day at the zoo and a wonderful Easter Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment