Saturday, October 17, 2009

what a week

I haven't posted in over a week because we've been barely getting sleep and eating around here. After two visits to the doctor's office, and an emergency "please come and save us from ourselves" visit from the hub's mom, we are all back on solid ground. Let me explain. Turns out Britton's reflux is most likely caused by a protein allergy, and even though I was doing the elimination diet (no dairy, eggs, nuts, or soy), she was still reacting. So, we made the difficult decision to try her on formula to see if it helped. And it did! I am still pumping until she has been on formula for one week, so we can make sure the formula is the fix. But if it is, there is no more breastfeeding for me. And while that saddens me beyond belief, and both Britton and I miss the closeness and comfort it provided, I will gladly give it up if that means my little girl sleeps more than 1 hour at a time and doesn't scream in pain all day and night.

When the hub came home last Tuesday to find me crying out of frustration, and holding a baby who wouldn't stop eating or crying, he called his mom, and she came the next day. Without her I would have without a doubt broken down and breastfed, not standing to hear Britton's cries. And I would have continued to get no sleep. But she came and put us back together. And I can't thank her enough for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment