Thursday, July 16, 2009

the ultrasound, again

We went in for another ultrasound to check on Baby B's weight and size. Holy moly, the girl is big! Her head is measuring 37 weeks, 1 day and her weight is estimated at 6 pounds, 9 ounces. No 3-D ultrasound pictures this time, but here are some new profile pictures:




In the next two, you're looking at her nose and lips. The tech said she has full lips - didn't come from me!





At the end of the ultrasound, they went to measure my cervix. Now, I didn't need the tech to tell me that she is up against my cervix, but it was weird seeing how she's wearing my cervix like a yarmulke. The tech was a little "concerned" over the fact that I have a short cervix and called my doctor to see if she wanted them to explore that further. She also asked me questions about if I had felt fluid leaking? Was I contracting at all? She of course left me and the hub in the room to stare at each other and wonder what all of this meant. When she came back, she declared that since it was my first child, the doctor wanted her to go ahead with the detailed ultrasound of my cervix. Then, we were informed that not only is my cervix short, but my amniotic fluid is low too. After the ultrasound was complete, the tech said the doctor wanted to see me and to head over to her office now.

We headed over to Dr. Doeden's office to see what was happening, and Dr. Doeden was not concerned. I love that she tells it to you straight! My cervix is short because that is what cervixes do when they prepare for labor. Also, she isn't concerned about the fluid levels yet, but I get another ultrasound next Thursday to check on my levels. I asked her what all of this meant - the cervix, the amniotic fluid, the baby's size of 37 weeks when I'm only 35 weeks - and she said that the new due date of August 5th (2 weeks less than my previous date of August 19th) is probably a good guess. I don't have to do bedrest! But, she also said she doesn't expect me to stay pregnant past a couple of more weeks. Huh. Now I just need to wrap my mind around the fact that I have 2 less weeks to mentally prepare!

No comments:

Post a Comment