Monday, July 6, 2009

the 34th week



I have been having fits of nesting all weekend. Last night, I took the tags off of all baby clothes sized 0-3 months, baby blankets, mittens, socks, washcloths, burping cloths, bibs, basically anything I could get my hands on made of cloth, and washed it all. During the wash cycle, while I was working out on the stationary bike, I had the hub look up if we could use dryer sheets or not. For some reason I had the thought that you can't, and we ended up not using any. As I was folding the swaddler later, I asked the hub if you can use a swaddler and a gown at the same time - wouldn't the baby get too hot? We didn't know, had no instinct one way or the other, so I checked with my sister today. I also remembered to ask her if you have a catheter with an epidural - all these random questions pop into my head, and my google search list must look ridiculous by now.

I had a doctor's appointment today. We scheduled another ultrasound for July 16th to check on the baby's size. My next appointment is July 20th, where we will discuss the results of the ultrasound, and I get an internal exam (oh, the fun!). I asked the doctor if we would be looking at induction if the baby continued to be big (she measured normally today), and the doctor told me she doesn't like to do inductions. Well, I don't like the idea of birthing a 10 pound baby, so perhaps we need to meet in the middle here. She did say a lot of what we decide to do will be based on the ultrasound results, so I'm still waiting to see.

Perhaps even more exciting (to me), my blood sugar is under control, so no need for insulin! I have lost another pound, for a total loss of 3 pounds since 32 weeks. No need to worry though because it is due to the gestational diabetes - my total gain this pregnancy is only 20 pounds. I also found out that the hub and I can have two more people in the delivery room. This won't be a problem if I'm not induced, because other than the hub's parents in Florida, and my sister and mom in Virginia, no one else is showing up. And without an induction date, it is unlikely anyone will be able to catch a plane quickly enough to make it here for delivery. But if I am induced, that leaves me and the hub with one guest each. Also, the hospital won't let my sister videotape the actual birth. As my doctor said, "No crotch shots." She can videotape the labor, then the baby proudly having entered the world, but no in-between because of some lawsuit out of Florida five years ago.

So, this week I have a dentist appointment on Thursday and on Friday I am touring two daycare centers and getting on the waiting lists. It's supposed to top 100 degrees here, so I'll be laying on the couch in the air conditioning as much as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Auntie Jessica :)July 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM

    For even more fun with the internal exams, just before your dr. gets her gloved hand near your nether regions, scream "Hold it! Let me see those fingers!" As she holds up her hand in a puzzled manner, exclaim "Damn! Wish those fingers were bigger! I like to get something out of this, too, doctor!"
    Bring the camera...your doctor's look will be priceless.

    ReplyDelete