Thursday, July 9, 2009

my achy breaky bottom

Earlier this week I woke up with the worst pain in my hips. Mind you, I have been sleeping since the 4th month with a body pillow. So, I just assumed I had kicked the body pillow out of bed and my hips were out of whack because of it. Nope. It happened again the next night, except this time I was awoken every two hours with the hip I was sleeping on completely throbbing.

I did a little internet research, and found that this is a common complaint in pregnancy. Of course, no one had the answer of how to fix it other than "it goes away after you have the baby." Really? Because so does my gestational diabetes, and yet I still have to treat it while the baby is hanging out in utero. One woman suggested a half-blown up sleeping bag air mattress so your hips can "sink" into it without being pushed against the mattress. I mentioned this to the hub while complaining of my various aches and pains. Men like to listen to that stuff, right? Guess what. The hub owns a sleeping bag air mattress. I had no idea. We have been together almost six years, married almost three years, and I had no idea. Maybe had I ever gone camping with him I might be in on this little secret, but who knew a possible solution to my achy breaky bottom was stowed away in the garage?

So, the half-blown up air mattress now hangs out under the featherbed, and I sleep on top of it all with barely half a sheet (or else I'm just way too hot) and Sadie sucking my heat down near my feet, with my leg slung over the body pillow. And you know what? It works. Yes, I still get up every two hours to pee, but that's just my body acclimating me to getting up with Baby B once she makes her appearance. And while I used to be able to sleep through a hurricane, used to be able to sleep ten hours straight without the aid of alcohol, I no longer can. I am up every two hours and sometimes I am downright alert. It's weird. So no more achy breaky bottom.

My normal bed:

My bed altered with air mattress, featherbed, and body pillow:

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy the bedside tums...had those working myself while I was pregnant!!!

    ReplyDelete