Wednesday, April 29, 2015

take your kids to work day

Britton has been asking to see my office again, since, according to her, she can't remember what it looks like.  Honestly, it's a cube farm and not all that impressive to see, but I didn't tell her that!  I figured it would be no problem to bring them to work last Friday morning, since the office is ghost town on Fridays.  I was right - my department had two people there!  And little did I realize that "Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day" was the day before, so I'm totally claiming this visit was in celebration of that day.  Even if I didn't know until today!


Britton got a kick out of seeing all her artwork all over my file cabinets.  My company has a "non-personalized space" policy, where you're supposed to have cleared off desks without any memorabilia. The idea is that everyone is a mobile worker and could plug a laptop into any desk and go to work.  And while that mentality may work in the Hague, it doesn't fly in 'Murica.  I like my photos, I like my kid artwork, I like my various knick knacks, and that's just how it's going to be.  European stream-lining be damned - I need my space to be personalized.


I think the kids most enjoyed running through the cubes.  I could have let them go for hours and they'd have thought it was the best time ever.  It reminded me of when Jessica and I would go to our dad's work, and run through the rows and rows of the warehouse (he distributed marine and boat stuff).  Each bin of items had a colored round sticker, no doubt denoting certain important information.  Jessica and I gleefully pulled those stickers off the bins, covered ourselves in stickers, and had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment