Monday, April 27, 2015

stairs makeover


We've lived in our house for close to three years now, and the stairs from the basement to the first floor have been my nemesis since we moved in.  The stairs were carpeted in berber carpet, very light in color, and we had made two dark rows up the stairs from going outdoors to indoors.  Even taking off shoes didn't help.  

I was torn between wanting to recarpet the stairs and wanting to paint them.  I finally settled on painting  them, with the idea that if they turned out horrendously, I could carpet over them.  One day the hubs tore off the carpet, and revealed these beautiful stained stairs!  Better yet, they were scuffed up enough to not be slippery (my biggest concern about painting).  Sure, there are a couple of paint drops here and there, but they are really in fantastic shape!


There are a ton of stair decorating ideas.  With these stairs being in the basement, I could have more fun with them.  Our foyer stairs would require a more formal treatment.  I had hunted around the internet for ideas, and found some awesome decals (even mice!  Just check out Etsy), but I really loved a picture of stairs with numbers.  Of course, I had saved it months ago and lost the picture!  So I hunted on Etsy and found a shop that has vintage random numbers. The price was about the cost of a gallon of paint, and much cheaper than carpet.  We started with "0" so that I would end on "12," and not the unlucky "13"!




Some numbers are reflective, and the "12" is from a bus route.  Each number is different.  I love how it turned out!  Britton counts the stairs as she climbs them, and Barrett loves to get down low and touch them.


No comments:

Post a Comment