Monday, August 22, 2011

5th anniversary

And we're still together! The hub and I had decided to just do dinner out together with no gifts. Well, sneaky one he is, he had flowers delivered for me, and aren't they just beautiful?



We went out to the Porch in uptown Dallas, and had to wait close to an hour for a table. See, this restaurant doesn't take reservations and yes, the food is worth waiting an hour. We scouted tables, counted people leaving and people left on the wait list, and in general kept ourselves entertained enough so we wouldn't get ornery. One benefit of five years of marriage is that you can count on the other one to keep your spirits up when you tend to get cranky because you aren't a very patient person. Yeah, that's me folks.

We had a great time and stuffed ourselves, right down to their are-you-kidding-me ooey gooey butter cake with vanilla ice cream and salted caramel drizzle. Oh yeah - you read that right. A part of me can't believe we've been married for five years because I thought five years of marriage would look different. It's like before I went to law school I thought all law students sat around at dinner parties, drinking wine and having deep political and philosophical discussions. So not how it is. There is a certain comfort, not created out of sense of obligation because you are in fact married, but of knowing the other person so well. Some people think that is suffocating. I think it's freeing.

"A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person." ~Mignon McLaughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment