Thursday, May 19, 2011

the longest week ever

It's always a long week for me when the hub is out of town on business. And this week was no exception. It's not that I can't handle Britton on my own or that she is so terribly behaved that handling her solo is an excruciating chore. It's just that taking care of a toddler, after a long day at work, can be draining and I like to not feel that it's all on my shoulders. I find that when the hub and I can switch off, playing or venting, it makes for an easier day all around.

And this week wouldn't have been so bad if not for Tuesday evening. I showed up at daycare to get Britton, who was less than thrilled to see me (she pulled this same shenanigan all week, and let me tell you - it makes you feel like you have a sign on your head that says "my kid doesn't like me"). I grabbed her bag and attempted to grab her, when I noticed Winnie was gone. I asked her teacher, and she was unaware of Winnie's whereabouts. This set into motion a thirty minute search for a security object that could not be found. The director and teacher apologized profusely and offered to call if they found it, but I pointed out that with the hub out of town, how was I going to come back up to the center? I also, to make sure they felt really bad about the whole thing, announced that Winnie had no replacement and that they no longer make that particular lovey. You know, just to bring everyone down to the level of frustration I was feeling. Immature and unfair, yes.

We left the daycare Winnie-less and the minute we got into the car I started crying. Here's the thing - Britton wasn't. She didn't even notice we didn't have Winnie. But I just couldn't stop crying, even though I wasn't sure what exactly I was crying about. I think maybe I needed the release. And while I normally would have taken it all in stride, I was unsure how Britton would react to a nighttime without her companion. Luckily, once Britton had finished dinner, the daycare called and Winnie had been found in the microwave of the play kitchen. We ran back up there and got Winnie and once again, all was right in the world.

Additionally, my boss at work is leaving to accept another position in another city. I don't do well with change, and the changes going on constantly at work have made me irritable. Add to that our reviews are coming up, and if a promotion is not offered I may begin to feel less loyal than I have shown in the past. And my boss's replacement was announced today. My place of employment has a strict "social media" policy which makes it a terminable offense to in any way bad-mouth workplace shenanigans. So I'm going to leave it to your interpretation as to why I will not tell you how I feel about who will now occupy the corner office.

What could make this week of Mondays disappear? First, the hub comes home tonight, which always makes me sleep better and feel better.

Second?

SCHOOL PICTURES CAME IN!!!! I won't begin to whine about the cost of them (as in, the same amount I pay to fill up my tank?!?) because it is a great picture. That's how they suck you in to begin with - you know if you don't buy them, the picture is gone forever. So enjoy the beautiful photo of my beautiful daughter, and celebrate with me that tomorrow's Monday is finally Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment