Friday, May 27, 2011

cowboy baby shower

Yesterday I put on a baby shower for my coworker who is expecting a little boy in July. He and his wife are decorating the room in a very Texas-appropriate cowboy theme, so I decided to run with that and extend it to the shower. I've been collecting items for decorating since I began planning back in March, mainly because the shock of one huge bill at the Hobby Lobby would have had me canceling the thing altogether! But a few mason jars here, gingham ribbon there, and the whole theme started coming together.

I made this pennant banner from cardstock, with light blue on the front, backed by alternating red bandanna print, blue bandanna print, and a beautiful paisley. I used miniature clothespin to hold the pennants on kitchen twine.



Can you believe this cake started as a "Toy Story" cake? The bakery tweaked it, removed the cartoon characters, and it turned out fantastic. Not to mention delicious - I highly recommend the HEB grocery store bakery!



All "BBQ" foods - BBQ meatballs, deviled eggs, lemonade, turkey pinwheels, watermelon, pasta salad, and a veggie platter. My friend Tiffany let me borrow her Southern Living platters, which you lace ribbon through. I had never seen these before, but believe me I am ordering some soon.



My sister and I made a signature mat for Britton's first birthday party, and it is such a treasured keepsake that it hangs in her room to this day. I bought the plain mat, then added sticker letters and scrapbook decals for decoration.



Red-and-white tablecloth, cowboy hat, and the mason jars with bows of raffia (to look like hay) and daisies. Plus a couple of "official" sheriff's badges for good measure. I mean, we have a THEME here people!



The gift table. The lady at the balloon store vetoed my color selection. I asked her if she thought it would look good and she said, "Well, you asked, so I'll tell you - no." Ummmmm, okay. So she suggested equal numbers of my three colors (I had wanted 3 red, 2 medium blue, 1 light blue) and you know what? She was right. These looked great. I love balloons for a party. So cheap and easy and they liven it up so much.

That's my gift to the far left - the basket o' goodies. Since becoming a mom, I no longer load people up with itchy baby clothes and off-brand baby wash. I stick to the things I like - boogie wipes, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, stacking cups, safety Q-tips, diaper bags, then I add in something fun. Here I added a stuffed dog which looks exactly like their dog Balto. And of course the quilt.



The future mommy and daddy had a great time, as did we all. And there was almost no food left over! I'm counting this one as a success.

And do you remember the quilt I made them? It had vintage -styled cowboy fabric, with bandanna prints and a cow print.



Yeah, this is their bedding! I just found out last week and almost peed myself since the quilt matches it perfectly! You would have thought I had planned that, but no - just luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment