Monday, March 14, 2011

daylight saving time

Oh, how I loathe you, Daylight Saving Time. Daylight Saving Time ("DST" for short) and I used to be friends, like back in college and law school when the fall extra hour meant one extra hour at the bar - wooo hoooo! - and the spring lost hour meant someone wasn't going to morning classes that Monday. It takes me an extravagant amount of energy to re-sync my body's clock and I detest a "holiday" like DST which no longer serves a function. DST is like an appendix.

Sure, back in World War I we needed to save energy by making the nighttime lighter. Who doesn't love a sunset at 9:00 pm? By making the light of day last longer into the night, people weren't using up all that electricity turning on lights and such. That saved energy could be used for production for the war. Fine. But in its reality, DST in the springtime turns Britton's bedtime into a sunny showcase. She has light-blocking material over her windows, but that isn't stopping the blazing sun from shining in. And in the mornings, there is no longer that same cheerful sun prodding her awake. Britton's wake-up time is now cloaked in darkness, making for a confused and cranky child.

Drinking juice in the afternoon....with my pinkies up like a lady........or is it midnight?



So now we wait for another month or so for the sun to start rising at a decent hour. But at the same time, the light sticks around longer at night. When you have a child that goes to bed at 6:30 pm, this doesn't fare well. And since she sleeps for twelve hours at night, she needs to wake up by 6:30 am if I have any chance of getting to work on time. Such is our vicious cycle. So, DST, we aren't friends, you and me. We're like college roommates who didn't know each other before we both got to the dorm. I think you're a drunk who wastes $40,000 a year on tuition when you haven't been to class all semester, and you think I'm a prude who needs to get out of the library and onto (preferably dancing) a bar top. We avoid each other in the hall, leave passive-aggressive notes about who's turn it is to take out the trash/empty the dishwasher/clean the bathroom. After that first year, we move in separate circles and only see each other at reunions. I loathe you DST, I really do.

Is this sun tea? I refused to nap at daycare today because my biorhythms are off...

No comments:

Post a Comment