Sunday, March 20, 2011

the most wonderful time of the year

Spring, that is. I get so inspired by everything being in bloom. Grandma and I went to Williams-Sonoma at lunchtime on Friday and I picked up a catalogue. Inside was this wreath for $59.95.



It's about time I made a springtime wreath, so a night of errand-running to Hobby Lobby and Michael's later, I had this. Not the same as the picture, but close enough to evoke the same feel. And I promised the hub that if I ever get to the point of not trying hard, when my effort consists of spray paint and glitter, I'll stop with the high-end recreations. But if they keep turning out like this, I'm sticking with my homemade knock-offs. Oh, and this wreath only cost me $17 in supplies.



I have grown (bad pun intended) fond of gardening and the blank canvas of my front and back yards has been calling to me for weeks. I'll get ideas from magazines or the internet, but going to the nursery always gets me ready. This weekend, while the hub and Grandpa went to the car show, Grandma, Britton, and I went to the nursery.




I was looking for a specific rose I had seen but didn't know the name of. I described it to the guy at the nursery - yellow and looks like a dogwood flower - and he had no idea. While checking out their roses, I stumbled upon it and Grandma confirmed it was the rose I was searching for - the Sunny Knock-Out. I got two and planted them in front of Britton's window. Grandma entertained Britton while I planted, which was a great plan. Britton didn't show much interest in the gardening tool set I got her, but she loved looking at the helicopter installing air conditioning units on the new school down the street.



With the roses planted and the crepe myrtles budding, I got an itch to plant more. While Grandma stayed with Britton, I went back and bought three azalea bushes. Growing up our yard was covered in azaleas, and while the lady at the nursery says they can grow here, she said it wouldn't be as easy as in Virginia. No matter. These beauties are going to get spoiled.


1 comment: