Sunday, March 6, 2011

You know the average number of times a toddler hears the word "no" in a day? 400. I don't know who did the study or where it was published, but no doubt all parents can agree we say it too often. The hub and I have tried to make our home a place where "no" is used minimally - meaning, things Britton isn't allowed to play with or handle on her own (ex. markers) are kept where she can't access them. All of her toys and snacks are on her level, and she can take them when she likes.

But, wouldn't you know it, we still find ourselves saying "no" more and more. "No, don't run into the street!" and "No, cookies are for after dinner" and "No, Mommy is on the phone. You can play with it when I'm finished" and "No, Mommy said to get her the vodka, not the tequila."

Ok, I made that last one up. Kind of. But really, it comes out a lot. Because Britton is almost two and testing the boundaries of her world minute by minute.

And now, she's using it as well. Experts at Fisher-Price say...

"Saying no is a toddler's declaration of independence. No longer a helpless baby, she's filled with a sense of power from knowing she's a separate person from you who can do many things on her own. And she's wondering just how far that independence can take her. Being automatically stubborn about most anything you say (even when she doesn't really object to what you're asking) is her way of asserting herself and testing her limits."

This morning Britton was playing with her winter hat. So here, in all her "no" glory, she is repeatedly telling me "No!" while taking her picture because I wouldn't let her play with Mommy's expensive camera.





And guess what Britton does not say "no" to? Easter eggs filled with confetti from Grandma and Grandpa!





It doesn't bug me too much - her use or our use of the word "no." Britton's use of "no" doesn't test me because I take it at face value. And I hope she does the same when we use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment