Sunday, August 23, 2009

the third week

Britton finally lost that gross raisin-looking umbilical cord thingy, so we dragged out the "whale of a tub" to give her a proper bath. Can't say that bath time is her favorite...



But she does enjoy the baby lotion massage following the bath, and the 98.6 degree feeding afterwards. My mom left on Friday morning after visiting for the week. We had a great time - didn't go out much except for the doctor, but accomplished a lot of bonding hanging out at home. Britton loved laying on Cammy, and she is going through a little snuggle withdrawal at the moment.

Poor Britton has been battling gas issues since last night. For the first time ever, Britton awoke after her final night feeding before 3:00 a.m. (it was 1:30 to be exact) and wanted to feed more. I was in a foggy haze, and believed that the hub telling me the baby was hungry was a dream. No such luck. But it was nice to have the hub join me on the couch during that feeding - at least Britton picked a weekend night. We think we have traced the gas issues to the Nathan's hotdogs I ate last night. I did not eat hotdogs at all during the pregnancy (something about the nitrites, I think), so it makes sense in hindsight that they would upset her system. Everything I ate during pregnancy Britton has already sampled in the amniotic fluid, so to introduce new foods in breastmilk isn't a good idea now. We'll end up with a fussy baby, which is what we got. So, no trip to the mall as planned!

Britton has gotten more alert now, and stays awake for hours at a time. We have face time, where we face her and talk to her. She watches my mouth move and hears my voice, and I love the way she puckers her mouth at me. Tummy time has been sporadic, whenever she lies on my chest and wants to move her head. And Britton can now track objects if I move them slowly very close to her face.

Good news - I am now three pounds below pre-pregnancy weight! That's right - I lost the pregnancy pounds, plus three more. I only gained about 25 during the pregnancy, so it wasn't like there was a ton of weight to lose, but the diabetic eating (which after the gas issues I will be even more stringent about) plus breastfeeding means no more pregnancy weight. However, I have not ventured into regular clothing yet. I just really couldn't handle the disappointment. I may have lost the weight, but things have shifted and skin is not elastic. Plus my maternity shirts make great breastfeeding shirts because they are so big. So, I'm giving myself until my 6 week postpartum appointment to pull out the regular clothes and store the maternity clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment