Sunday, August 30, 2009

the fourth week



We made it four weeks! I still can't believe it has been that long since I had her. The hub and I were at the mall yesterday getting him a new shirt for his annual Vegas trip, and the saleslady asked how old she was. I had to think because my first instinct (almost four weeks) seemed wrong. But it has been that long, and it has been amazing.

The hub and I have gone through quite a transition as well. Back in law school we went out to Law Caucus every Thursday night. Law Caucus was a night out for law students, rotating through different bars in Morgantown, with drink specials ending in being hungover in Friday morning classes. Did I say morning classes? We didn't make it to those. Damn you Professor Ashdown and your stupid attendance policy! But I digress...in Wheeling, Virginia Beach, and Charleston, and everywhere else we've lived, the hub and I have gone out - to dinner, for drinking, what have you. But now, after the baby, we stay home. Because she's too unpredictable for more than a trip to the grocery store, and I'm still scared to be the mom whose baby is screaming in the middle of Barnes and Noble. So, we rent movies. And because we don't go out, we're left with on-demand movies. By the way - "Knowing" and "The Soloist"? Don't bother. Save your money. And we watch our DVRed shows. That's parenthood folks!

And it was during "The Soloist" that I discovered that my sore right boob was actually a clogged milk duct hanging out to wreck my night. I painfully fed Britton off of that side, used warm compresses, cried, pumped, rubbed it, whatever I could think of to make the pain stop. And by pain I mean someone had a hot metal poker inserted into my boob and was turning it. Yes, that's what it felt like. Luckily, at 4:30 a.m. while Britton was eating, I could feel relief coming, and now it's almost back to normal.




"No more pictures. Give me back the milk source."


Stats on Britton - I don't know what she weighs because we don't have a doctor's appointment until October 2nd. But Granny, and the hub's uncle and cousins stopped by this weekend, and Granny confirmed she has gotten bigger. Britton is also following objects (and still the ceiling fan) with her eyes. She is also spending more time awake and alert. With that, we have now encountered gas issues, and every time she scrunches her face in pain I want to brand myself "horrible mom who gives her baby gas." Sorry, dairy - I missed you during gestational diabetes, but you give my baby gas. No more cereal, milk, cheese, fage yogurt. I'll miss you all.

1 comment:

  1. are clogged ducts glamorous?! i never had that problem with reese, but it reared its ugly head this go 'round. luckily i was completely back to normal within 24 hours.

    dairy is our issue too with gas. the slightest bit. it sucks. your ped will probably tell you you'll have to take a calcium supplement to make up for it for the bambino.

    it sounds like you're doing well... a good baby the first time makes you want to have 54389524385 more kids... a bad baby... well lets just say i must have forgotten all the shenanigans she pulled because i did it again. :) consider yourself blessed.

    ReplyDelete