Saturday, August 1, 2015

the baby max quilt


The hubs' cousin Kristin is having her first baby soon, and I've kept up with the updates via Facebook. She and her husband live in Edmond, OK, our old stomping ground, and as much as I would have liked to attend her baby shower, it's too far.  So instead, I made her a quilt!

I saw a quilt that had a fish with bubbles, and I liked the idea, but didn't want to go with a fish.  I've always loved elephants, and I thought that it could work to replace the fish with an elephant.  An elephant blowing bubbles?  Turned out to be absolutely adorable!


I made the bubbles all different shades of blue from my stash.  Of course, polka dots and gingham figured prominently!  I found a picture of an elephant on the internet, then printed it out and used it as a template.  I then appliqued the elephant and bubbles onto the quilt and used a tight zig zag stitch around the edges.  The rest of the quilt was free motion quilted with loops.


The backing is a grey with light aqua polka dot, and the binding is a solid turquoise (Kona Breakers, I think).  I loved this quilt so much that I ended up making another just like it!  And hopefully baby Max will love it too!


No comments:

Post a Comment