Wednesday, August 26, 2015

first day of first grade!


Britton started first grade today, at an elementary school!  Last year Britton attended kindergarten at the daycare, so it was really just an extension of what she was used to.  This year, it got real!  And Britton was so excited, especially about riding the bus.  Ahhh, the bus.  Originally, we were set on taking Britton to school on her first day.  But when I talked to the principal at "Meet the Teacher" night, she said that parents weren't coming into the building, because it made the whole thing too hectic.  Plus, we had to drop her off front, and her classroom is in the back (where the buses do drop-off).  So, we asked Britton what she wanted to do, and she chose the bus.  


Britton wore her new back pack with pride!  Winnie was tucked into an inside pocket - close enough for comfort, even though Winnie never came out during school.  I didn't want to load up Britton's back pack with her classroom supplies, so I dropped them off at the school this afternoon.  And who should be in the hallway but Britton!  Her class was headed to art, and she was tickled pink that I was in her school.  I said a quick hello, gave her a hug, said hi to her class and teacher, and went on my way.



Watching her bus pull away, I realized it - this was the first time my child had to make her way through this world without me orchestrating, hovering, perfecting, controlling.  She would get to school and have to make her way to her classroom, and remember to give her teacher my filled-out forms, and not forget her lunch box, and I wasn't there to make sure it happened.  Worse, I wouldn't be there to shut down kids who don't have anything nice to say, to make sure she didn't eat lunch alone, to back her up when things weren't going her way.  It's true - Britton wasn't the only one growing up today.  Of course, I'm emotional and not overly optimistic by nature, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt. Suffice it to say, my imagination came up with worst-case scenarios that never happened, and Britton had a fantastic day at school!



No comments:

Post a Comment