Sunday, June 28, 2015

'a camping we will go



The hubs and I wanted a little getaway for a few days, but when we started looking at hotel room prices, we were less than enthused.  Seriously, even at $150 a night the bill would be offensive!  Well, luckily, Memaw and PawPaw have a travel trailer, and were not only willing to watch the kids, but let us borrow the trailer!  We found a great RV park north of Columbus, and set off Thursday morning for some relaxing time.

Memaw shared the kids' antics with us with photos and texts, which we would randomly get because the campsite had no cell phone service.  Or wi-fi.  Or cable.  But apart from our resistance to entertain ourselves without a screen, we would go out to Easton Town Center or Polaris for some shopping, and get caught right back up!  Britton is loving those Trix...


Barrett looks awfully devilish....like he knows he has Memaw under his spell....


Sure, the hubs and I thought we'd be doing the camping thing, but the weather had other plans.  Yes, it's been raining for over two weeks straight (seriously, 16 consecutive days), and there was a TORNADO not a 1/2 mile from our house while we were gone, so outdoor activities were far and few between.  It just allowed us to take advantage of tons of good restaurants!

Oh, Pei Wei, how I have missed you so...

But, I'm not going camping without a s'more.  Rain be damned.  I regularly make s'mores in the microwave (yes, please cringe with me), so when the hubs got a fire to stay lit for a while, I grabbed my marshmallows and skewers and got down to making a s'more.


Remember how I said we had no cell phones, no computers, no tablets, no cable, no nothing?  You know what we did instead?  One night we rented "American Sniper" from a local RedBox, and the rest of the time we read.  Here's the hubs with his RV magazine; I finished "Etta and Otto and Russell and James" (I'd like to rave about this book, but I can't, just can't).  We read and dodged rain and went on walks and hunted down Jeni's and Graeters ice cream and tried to start camp fires.  And relaxed, and napped, and slept in.  Heaven!


We made some hot dogs, hamburgers, and beans on this stove.  The stove is older than the hubs!


No comments:

Post a Comment