Thursday, June 11, 2015

barrett's birthday quilt


I finished Barrett's birthday quilt right after his birthday, but I forgot to share it!  I was thinking about what style to do, which colors, when it dawned on me that I'm probably not going to be able to keep up this "quilt for every birthday" thing.  So, I decided to make Barrett a quilt for his first nine birthdays!  I gathered all my solid blues and greens, then appliqued some numbers (in a Denyse Schmidt plaid).  I bordered the quilt in random scrappy flying geese, dipping into my stash of random fabrics.  I then added four-squares of solids to the corners and halfway down each side to break up all the triangles.



I covered Barrett's hand and foot in fabric paint and got the prints on the square for "2."  The "1" square was going to be much more difficult, seeing as we can't time travel.  Yet.  


I got some fabric transfer paper from my second home, Joanns, and copied Barrett's handprint and footprints from his baby book.  Yes, technically, he's not even a year old when those were imprinted, but they were really all I had to go with!


Britton wanted to help the hubs hold the quilt, because it was windy and that quilt wouldn't stay down!


I backed the quilt in the same Denyse Schmidt blue and green flowers print I used on Ben's baby quilt.  I then finished the quilt with a scrappy binding of all the solids I had used for the squares.


I love the idea of a memory quilt, and every year I can see how much Barrett has grown!

No comments:

Post a Comment