Sunday, May 24, 2015

the sophia quilt


Britton's kindergarten teacher is pregnant with her first baby, and through Britton I have learned: (1) that she was pregnant in the first place, and (2) is having a girl she'll name Sophia.  I realize now that I've put a lot of faith in Britton's word, as I made her teacher a quilt based entirely on Britton's assertion that she is having a girl!  Well, it's pretty gender-neutral in case Britton got the details wrong.

I had a charm pack of "30s Playtime" from Chloe's Closet for Moda, and I knew I wanted to make an Irish Chain quilt.   The fabric is all reproductions of 1930s feed sack-type fabrics, and perfect for a baby.

The backing is an alphabet print I picked up on clearance from Joanns.


The binding is a blue with red/pink flowers.  I had to pick something that tied the front to the back, and the back had no pink or purple, so that was out.  And you just know I had the perfect pink polka dot picked out!  But the blue flowered works well here.  Don't you love that hedgehog?


I straight-line stitched through each nine patch, then stitched this flower made of hearts in the middle of each white solid block.  I love how it turned out!


I'm giving the quilt to Britton's teacher at kindergarten graduation in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment