Saturday, August 9, 2014

halloween in august

If we can have Christmas in July, why not Halloween in August?  I blame JoAnns for this one - for bringing out all that beautiful fall decor, and then marking it down 30% right off the bat.  It got me thinking about Halloween decorations, and while I don't decorate for every holiday, my Halloween decorations have been lacking.  Plus, Halloween is what gets me going for Christmas decorating!  One of the cashiers at JoAnns told me that a good crafter is always six months ahead, so I guess I better get cracking.  Yes, sage advice and free coupons!

I had copied this photo from the internet of a patchwork pumpkin pillow (say it fast three times), and just knew I had to completely and shamelessly copy it make one too.  I pulled out my black, grey, and orange scraps and got down to business.


I love gingham.  Love it.  And this gingham came from Memaw's stash, so it's that thick and sturdy gingham that you can't buy anymore.


I had bought a yard of this Halloween bunting fabric last January, when I was ordering all the deeply discounted Christmas fabric I could find.  I had no plans for it at the time, and it ended up being perfect for a couple of squares on the front and the backing.  I made an envelope enclosure in case I ever need to take the cover off and wash it.


The pillow ended up being 14 inches square, and is waiting to come out for Halloween!


And then I got a hankering for a Halloween wreath.  Burlap, specifically.  And I bought all the supplies to make it, and then got them all home and decided, after many many YouTube tutorials, that this project was beyond my abilities.  I returned all my supplies, defeated.  So I got back on Etsy and ordered the wreath I wanted to copy.  

  

Isn't it gorgeous?  It's twice as much as I would usually consider spending on a wreath, but man oh man, I just had to have it!  Word to the wise - if you're trick-or-treating at my house this year and mention how much you like my wreath and pillow, I'll be so happy I'll hook you up with a whole handful of candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment