Friday, April 18, 2014

how does your [fairy] garden grow?

First things first. We're back in lice territory.  Or maybe we never left the first time?  I don't know if this is a new outbreak or a continuation of the last, but what I do know is that when I dropped Britton off at daycare on Thursday morning and watched two lice crawl out of her hair that we were back into the fight.  I've washed everything in this house on high temperature.  Every stuffed animal is bagged for the next three weeks.  I boiled every barrette and brush.  And to overdo it, we are doing the olive oil/hair gel treatment every night, in addition to a RID treatment and a prescription treatment from the doctor (in case it turns out that Britton has pesticide-resistent lice, which exist and make me scared for the future).  But I digress....


So, to get our minds off of lice, Britton and I took advantage of our beautiful weather today and put together her fairy garden.  Truth be told, I just wanted to get my hands in some dirt.  The hubs and I had planned to redo our front yard flower bed today, but we filled the trash can only two plants in, so we're delayed until we figure out what to do with our old dead plants.  A couple of weeks ago, I had a plan to do another fairy garden with Britton.  She loves her original one, and plays in it to this day, but I wanted to give her more space.  I tried to come up with a bigger container that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and then it hit me - an old wagon.


$25 and a trip to Lowes to meet the Craigslist seller, I had my planter.  The hubs drilled some drainage holes in the bottom for me.  The wagon is old and roughed up, and that just adds to the overall look.  Luckily, fairy garden accessories have now trickled down to Joanns, so I stocked up on my last fabric run - miniature rake and shovel, daisy stepping stones, miniature bucket and watering can.  The bridge is actually from PetSmart - I found it in the aquarium section!


Extra pea gravel made a walkway, flat marbles made a creek, and I added small flowers and ivy, and moss from my yard.  It turned out better than it was in my mind, and dang it all, don't you love when that happens?  Britton played with it all afternoon. 

Hello Kitty gardening gloves are a MUST

1 comment: