Wednesday, November 20, 2013

it's like a gay pride parade in here


Britton declared today, "My favorite color used to be pink.  Do you know what it is now, Mommy?  It's RAINBOW!!!!"  And of course, I agree and respond that rainbow is one of the best colors there is.  Because, really - you don't correct a four-year-old that "rainbow" isn't technically a color.  Maybe it is.  Maybe it's like the bells in the "Polar Express" - adults can't hear the bell ringing and can't see rainbow. Doesn't mean it's not there for the believers.

Rainbows have invaded my life recently - not just Britton's new favorite color, but rainbows are taking over my sewing.  I decided to get a jump start on teacher gifts for the daycare teachers, and these potholders will be part of it (tied to a jar of cookies).  Every color is my favorite!


And Jessica was contacted by a lady who makes fourteen inch blankets for babies born too soon - be it preemies or babies who don't make it home because they are born too little.  Didn't just tug at my heart, damn near ripped it out.  I looked  at some quilting blogs and found out that some moms buried their babies with the blanket, some kept the blanket as a memento, one mom still slept with hers every night under her pillow even years and years later.  And for the babies who make it, the blanket is a nice way to snuggle a baby usually stuck in a sterile hospital with scratchy blankets. So Jessica asked her if she takes miniature quilts too, and she does, so I made a few.  


Ohhh, I love you narwhals….


And it was this star quilt (those blocks are only two inches!) inspired my newest quilt.  I wanted tiny stars, and I wanted rainbow.  I combined the two and came up with this design…

                                            

And then started pulling scraps and making tiny stars.  I've gotten through ROY G. and am moving on to BIV as soon as I sort scraps.  It's so bright and cheerful.  It started as a baby quilt, but is now growing into a twin-sized quilt.  Maybe it'll become Britton's fifth birthday quilt?  Assuming rainbow is still her favorite color, of course!




No comments:

Post a Comment