Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving feast

Britton's daycare hosted a "Thanksgiving Feast" yesterday where all the parents were invited to come eat with their child. I showed up ready to chow down with Britton, and even though I had told her I was coming for lunch, she still seemed really surprised I was there. You know, about five hours too early.



We went to the school-age room where they had a buffet of Thanksgiving food goodness lined up. We got our turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, corn, and rolls and headed for the nearest table.



I recognized the kids next to us as being from Britton's class. I said hi to the kids, thinking it would lead to their moms talking to me. Not so much. I don't know why these two moms, who were introducing themselves to each other so it's not like they're long-time friends, couldn't so much as say hello, but they pretended like I wasn't there. And I'll admit that it gave me a feeling of glee when one kid stood on his chair and dumped his plate and his embarrassed mom had to deal with it. Yeah, we moms can be shallow and catty like that. Especially around Thanksgiving.

But Britton and I had fun eating and talking and her pointing out the kids she knows. The two moms who didn't care to meet me left, and were replaced by two other moms from Britton's class, who were actually a delight to talk to. We chatted about our kids, the amount of hair bows that have gone missing (we are both averaging a one bow per week loss), and whose kid is napping. One of the moms noticed Britton's Winnie and said she has one identical at home that her daughter doesn't play with - she's bringing it next week to me so we have a back-up!

Then we watched on as our three children devoured the dessert table - chocolate cake, cookies, brownies, the whole she-bang. And when Britton "suggested" she go get a third cookie, I put my foot down (and my pumpkin roll) and got her a plate of whipped cream! Playing with that took her mind off the mound of cookies hovering just feet away from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment