Thursday, November 3, 2011

a ladder and a quilt

I told the hub to not get me anything for my birthday, since I don't recognize 33 as a valid age, and also because we just went on our weekend getaway to Utah. He obliged, but when I got a bee in my bonnet to make a ladder, he made it for me on my birthday weekend. See, I wanted to find an old farm ladder to hold my quilts. Like this:



But I couldn't find one in the antique mall, and the ones online were really expensive. And, of course, my old standby Pottery Barn has one but it's $349, and that's just ridiculous. So, I found some plans online (click here to see them) and bought the materials.




Then I stained it Special Walnut, and to protect the quilts I put on two coats of polyurethane. It's just a tad wonky since I bought the two warped pieces of wood, but I love it.



Now, what to put on it?

Oh, that's right! Let me introduce to you: Christmas Stars! I just finished up the binding today, and I have to admit that I am pretty proud of my first big quilt. It's a lap quilt size, perfect for snuggling on the couch. The charm packs are "Flurry" by Kate Spain for Moda, and the backing is the softest piece of white fabric ever, courtesy of Mema's stash. Our Memaw hand-sewed the stars and setting stone pieces in red, so that you could see the stars and squares on the back. The binding is a candy cane and green stripe, and I'll readily admit that I am sucker for striped or polka-dotted bindings. Now this quilt is ready for Christmas!





Someone wanted to help Daddy hold up the quilt...


No comments:

Post a Comment