Monday, January 24, 2011

winter

Winter is different here than any other place I have lived. In Virginia Beach the winter weather was mild, and ice and snow sent people into emergency mode. I remember school being closed for the lightest dusting of snow, sometimes the snow not lasting for more than a few hours. Blacksburg was my first experience with real winter weather, and also my first introduction to the necessity of a four-wheel-drive vehicle.



In West Virginia I learned to love snow. Even now the first few flakes of snow falling through the sky are magical. There is always beauty in snow-covered landscape. Of course, in West Virginia that snow would stick around for weeks, turning black and slushy under tires and mud. It was in West Virginia that I also became familiar with the continuous grey sky - it could be weeks on end before I'd see the sun.



I love these pictures - the outright joy caught in a run. She is not in any way self-consciousness or over-thinking, the way us adults are all too often. Just my little girl enjoying her cold winter afternoon.




Oklahoma was my first encounter with an ice storm. Absolutely stunning in its beauty, everything covered in a case of glass. Oklahoma weather was always unpredictable to a fault, but it also gave me a white Christmas for my daughter's first Christmas. And for that I'll gladly take the wind.

But Texas, that's a new one for me. All I know is that Britton loves the outdoors, cold or not. So Texas winters seem to suit her just fine.



"Little January

Tapped at my door today.

And said, "Put on your winter wraps,

And come outdoors to play."

Little January

Is always full of fun;

Until the set of sun.

Little January 

Will stay a month with me

And we will have such jolly times -

Just come along and see."


~ Winifred C. Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment