Sunday, January 9, 2011

some more firsts

Yesterday morning, seeing as the weather was supposed to turn cold and snowy, we took Britton to the park. She loves the slide, and had a great time. We got home and I was starting to get ready to make her lunch. She walked over to me in the kitchen, threw her arms up to me, and wanted me to play with her. I grabbed her arms, as we do so often, and started swinging her back and forth. But when I put her down, she started whimpering and grabbing at her left wrist area. I didn't think much of it at first, thought maybe I had just grabbed too hard or caught her shirt against her skin in an irritating way. But the whimpering didn't stop, and the more she tried to use her left arm the worse it got. A quick call to the ER to see if we should come in became a frantic drive to the hospital.

Luckily when we arrived there wasn't a wait, and we were seen pretty quickly. The hub had called Grandma and Grandpa for reinforcement and to pick up a Happy Meal for Britton, as we really had no idea how long it would take.

Diagnosis? Nursemaid's elbow. Or, as the doctor put it, "radial head subluxation." I had basically dislocated my own child's elbow. I half-expected to see Social Services rushing in, whispering in hushed tones with accusatory glances, and be questioned on why I was injuring my child. But everyone was very kind, including a great nurse who brought Britton stickers and a popsicle. One quick rotation of the arm later, and the ER doctor had fixed her arm without even a flinch from Britton. Less than five minutes later she was using her arm fully and we were discharged.

Let me tell you, it was a low point in my self-confidence as a mother. I didn't know toddlers have loose tendons and ligaments and that swinging her would throw her elbow out of whack. The hub and I regularly swing Britton from her arms and legs onto the bed, and she loves it. But no more. I find myself second-guessing even touching her arms, the left arm in particular, as I am scared that I will hurt her again. I know that no one blames me for what happened to Britton, but does it really matter if I'm left blaming myself?

Back at home, here she is lugging out her Mega Blocks, displaying full use of the left arm...





And, later that night, another first - her first teeth brushing. Yes, I know dentists recommend starting at the first birthday, but Britton has only recently shown interest and curiosity about what I am doing when I brush my teeth, so I figured now was fine. I even picked her up some fluoride-free toothpaste with a "berry" flavor. She doesn't quite get it, and she mostly sucked on the toothbrush bristles, but that's the idea. I want her to get used to brushing her teeth every night as part of her routine now.


No comments:

Post a Comment