Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Garebear Graduates!

I went to Virginia last week for my nephew Garrett's 18th birthday celebration AND high school graduation!  Let me tell you, I am completely unprepared to be in a world where Garrett is now an adult - Jessica and I were a mere three years older than Garrett is now when Garrett was born.  Him moving on to college and his own life is startling to me, because I will always think of Garrett as my sister's kid.  Despite my own issues (Garrett's not the only one with a milestone birthday this year, ugh), we celebrated with a fantastic steak dinner and scuba-diving cake from Sugar Plum Bakery. 



Saturday morning came early - the graduation began at 9:00 am!  Because tickets and space are limited, I was set to watch graduation on a screen in the auditorium.  But while standing in line, a former student's mother recognized Jessica and offered her a ticket for the gymnasium!  I was able to go in with Cammy, Jessica, Tim, and Caroline, and see the graduation in person.



The seniors joined the band (that's Garrett below, playing the trombone) for their last performance.



After the ceremony, we found Garrett in the sea of graduates!  The graduation speaker (the English teacher, voted on by the graduating class) told the graduates to let their mothers take 1000 pictures if they wanted to, and Garrett was accommodating of the fact that we all wanted a ton of pictures!



Then it was home to get reeady for the party!  Stephanie, Alexandria, and Aunt Jill made the trip up, and Jen came over too (of course, I failed to get pictures of anyone but Garrett!).  Family and friends came over to celebrate our graduate!


No comments:

Post a Comment