Friday, June 3, 2016

britton's last day of first grade

First, let me just say that I cannot apparently read a calendar, and my last post on Britton's monthly picture was in fact one day early.  Which is way better than me constantly missing Barrett's monthly picture by days!

Here is Britton on her first day of first grade:


And on her last day of first grade:


I just put her back in bed, and she was crying about how much she misses her teacher.  Oh, I remember those days, so I couldn't give her too much grief for being up past bedtime.  Her teacher is pretty great, and certainly one that we will measure future teachers against.  


When the kids got off the bus today, some moms were ready and waiting with filled water guns and ice pops to hand out!  I didn't know until this morning that this is a tradition on our street.  A neighbor at the other end of the neighborhood who I work with said that their street hands out Dairy Queen Dilly bars on the last day of school!  These are the things I will miss when we move.  


I will also miss Britton's bus driver.  He is old, at least in his seventies, and he always had a smile for the kids.  I've never seen the man in a bad mood, and no doubt this daily interaction with the kids keeps him young.


Well done, Britton.  You completed your first year of school!  You've grown so much this year, and this year has been the best foundation for the rest of your education.  You're reading, doing math, telling me about viscosity!, and letting me overhear you tell Kayla that Kale is your boyfriend.  And you laughed when I called you out for liking a boy named after lettuce, because it's still ok for your mother to be involved in your interactions with friends.  Not so much as a teenager, but hopefully we've got years and years before that comes.  You fell in love with school this year, you think your teacher hung the moon, and this positive outlook will hopefully carry you on when school gets hard, when the teachers aren't the best, when homework isn't fun anymore.  

No comments:

Post a Comment