Sunday, September 27, 2015

turkey trot down the thanksgiving table

I've always had trouble making things for myself.  I get excited about quilts, know just who would love them, and that's the fire that gets me through the sometimes arduous process of sewing.  I don't have the time or inclination to make holiday quilts other than Christmas quilts, so there aren't any Halloween or Thanksgiving quilts in my future.  However, when pulling out my Halloween/fall decorations, I noticed that I lack any decorations I made!  And I'm seriously lacking in table runners - what better decoration than a quick table runner?  

I decided that it wouldn't just be a quilted table runner, but also a keepsake.  I've always loved using handprints to remember my kids at their young ages, and so the turkey handprint was a no-brainer.  I sewed up the white middle with fall leaf print border, then put panels of the backing fabric on the ends and middle.  Time for some fabric paint!


With fabric paint, you have to be quick, or the paint dries on your hands without ever making it to the fabric.  So Barrett didn't get multiple colors of feathers, though he did a great job letting me paint his hands and getting them pressed down onto the fabric.



Britton wrote both her name and Barrett's names under their turkeys.  She also snagged the pen while I wasn't looking and drew the hearts and added periods to the end of everyone's name!  I added wattles under the turkey chins with a red sharpie, and an eyeball and feet with the black fabric pen.



The backing is made up of small blocks and different pictures - mums, scarecrows, Indian corn, apples.  I liked the variety and colors.  The binding is an orange plaid, which has metallic orange threads running through it.  I quilted it in a 2-inch crosshatch, with orange thread (the hubs's suggestion, and it works well here).


We finished off our decorating with some Halloween Oreos - Barrett's first Oreo!  I think he quite enjoyed it!


No comments:

Post a Comment