Monday, March 17, 2014

the caroline quilt



When we were visiting Jessica and her family at Thanksgiving, Caroline asked if I would make a quilt for her.  I knew she'd be moving into a queen-sized bed soon, but I don't think I can make that big of a quilt.  So I told her I'd make a lap-sized quilt she could fold on the foot of her bed.  Caroline likes pinwheels, but also wanted turtles, cupcakes, crabs, gummy bears, and narwhals.  I decided that the pinwheels would cut the fabric into too-small pieces and you wouldn't see the motifs, so I went with the Scrappy Summer Quilt instead.  If it looks familiar, it is - I made it this summer!

I may have had a little too much fun with the fabrics!  I got crabs and flamingos at the beach, turtles, cupcakes, gummy bears, narwhals, and also pinwheels, text fabric (Caroline loves reading), kids with umbrellas, and little Russian nesting dolls.  Then I threw in a healthy amount of my scraps.

I kept the solids bright instead of primary - hot pink, medium pink, turquoise, robin's egg blue, medium blue, yellow, orange, and green.


The backing fabric is a beautiful turquoise floral print, with solid binding (Kona Pool).  Caroline's room is painted almost this exact color.


I free-motion quilted the entire quilt, and when I got to the bottom left corner, I free-motion quilted Caroline's name in cursive.  Can you see it below?  I know it's hard to make out - look at the solid hot pink and white blocks.


And Caroline did get her pinwheels!  I used the solids to make a pinwheel pillow sham.


Happy girl!  She loved it!  And it was fun making it for her.  Caroline is interested in sewing, and anything I can do to foster that interest is worth it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment