Sunday, March 2, 2014

55 months old


Past the halfway point of her fourth year, I find myself constantly surprised that Britton seems to get older by the day.  Normally I don't have these revelations about someone I live with and see every day, but she is growing that quickly.  And that is the most evident in her patience.  Britton is ridiculously patient with Barrett, even more than I am most days, and I will overhear her interactions with him, with her sweet words and delighted banter, and I turn into the Grinch when his heart grows three sizes.  I can't take credit, because I'm not responsible for it - it's just how she is.  


School is going well.  Britton is excited about starting kindergarten next year, though I haven't scared her yet with concepts of "homework" and "standardized tests" and "Common Core."  Those concepts just scare me!  Her class is going through the alphabet, one letter per week, and Britton points out anything and everything that starts with her letter of the week.  She sounds them all out, and asks me how to spell words.


Britton and I went sledding this afternoon, and actually got to go on a walk yesterday afternoon (turned into a bear hunt, but in 50 degree weather I would have hunted anything), and it was so great to finally get outside and spend time in the fresh air.  Britton and I got so used to going on walks together after dinner, and this winter has confined us all indoors for weeks at a time.  We are all ready for spring!


Lately, Britton has been really interested in my stories.  "Tell me a story about you and Aunt Jessica when you were small, Momma."  "Tell me about your first Christmas."  She wants stories, the longer the better, and funny makes it good too.  And she listens so intently, so openly.  Then she will tell me a story in return, and it's in no way real and sounds like what her dreams must be like and I love it.  She is a natural story teller.


Likes:  sausage and egg breakfast burritos, hot chocolate after sledding, pulling Barrett around the house by looping her lasso through his walker

Dislikes:  being cold, when Sadie sits on her on the couch

No comments:

Post a Comment