Sunday, January 20, 2013

tiny dancer

You know, for the longest time I sang that Elton John song as, "Hold me closer, Tony Danza!"  I know that the correct lyrics are, "Hold me closer, tiny dancer!" but that's not nearly as much fun to sing.  And frankly, it physically pains the hub anytime I sing lyrics incorrectly on purpose (or just sing in general, to be honest), so I can't let a good opportunity slip away.  

Anywho, going the long way to a short story today, we signed up Britton for dance lessons!  It was hard finding a Saturday morning class (of course, Tuesday mornings were no problem, but I don't think my job would appreciate that).  When we finally did, I showed up ten minutes early on registration day just to make sure I could get a spot in the class!  It's a full hour - 20 minutes each of tap, ballet, and tumbling.  Britton's teacher is a high school senior, and I have no idea how a high school senior can be even half of how patient this sweet girl is!  

We sat in for the first class, since Britton seemed a little anxious about starting this new thing with all new people.  The teacher had announced that parents could sit in the first class, but must stay outside for the rest of the classes.  I thought some moms (and dads) were going to lose it, but they made up for it this week by plastering their faces to the windows in the back of the classroom and waving every five seconds.  It was a wonder these kids could get any dance done with all the reassurance these parents needed!




Despite this picture, Britton does actually enjoy the class!  I think the tumbling is her favorite so far.  And doing the "butterfly" (where you put your feet together and bend over your legs) is the move she shows me after every class.  A friend from work, whose daughter was too young to sign up for this course (January through May), tells me that the class is offered over the summer too.  If Britton enjoys it, we'll sign her back up for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment