Thursday, January 17, 2013

our cruise!

The hub and I booked a cruise before we knew I was pregnant, and dang it all we NEEDED this vacation!  So we moved it to this week, when I would be only 23 weeks pregnant.  No work, no cell phones, no bedtime stories or middle of the night "I can't find Winnie" fiascos, nope, none of that.  We booked the Disney Dream, and let me tell you - people at work gave me the weird eye when I mentioned a Disney cruise without my child.  But the great thing about Disney is that they separate the children away from the adults (if that's your thing), so the hub and I had the run of the adult-only pool, decks, bars, and restaurants.  They even have an adult-only beach on their private island Castaway Cay!

Let me tell you, the rooms on this ship are HUGE!  We always get a veranda room, because I can't stand the idea of being in a room with no window, no fresh air, no balcony overlooking the gorgeous ocean.  The rooms on the Dream are bigger than the Wonder (the other ship we've been on) and the bathroom is different too.  See that rounded wall below?  It's a round bathtub/shower!



We flew into Orlando, then headed over to Port Canaveral.  The hub and I headed to the front of the ship to watch us leave the port.  It was fun, and the seagulls accompanied us!  



We walked around the ship and figured out where everything was.  The hub and I found the adult pool below, and changed into our swimsuits to get in.  It was a perfect 80 something degree day, and the water in the pool was warm.  


On Monday morning we woke up in Nassau.  I'll be honest - walking through Nassau is a beating.  Cab drivers, vendors, frankly everyone and their grandmother is yelling at you, trying to get you to buy whatever it is they have for sale.  There are a ton of jewelry stores and they have great deals, so it's worth it if you can score some new jewelry, but I wasn't in the mood.  A nice jewelry saleswoman did rub my pregnant belly for what seemed like a long time, but I just didn't see anything I could live without.



The next morning we woke up at Castaway Cay.  Awwwww........time to get into the water!  First thing I saw at the beach was these little fish everywhere.  I begged them to give me a fish pedicure, but it was no use and they wouldn't (bad pun intended) bite.  


I pointed out the hub that the color of the water in the shallow area was the exact color I was trying to find for the bathrooms.  He laughed and floated by on his tube!  




The hub rented us some snorkeling gear!  I was scared at first, that I'd mix up breathing through the tube and drown myself (then I saw the stingrays and got really scared with Crocodile Hunter flashbacks), but I just gave it a go and figured it out.  We ditched the flippers - more hassle than they were worth - and explored.


See that tube?  It's a ride called the Aqua Duck. You ride a raft down the tube, and it goes over the side of the ship and around the perimeter of the deck. I wasn't allowed to ride it because of the bun in the oven, but the hub was. 


So he did!


Our last day was a day at sea.  Everywhere we looked was crowded, because there was no port available for people to leave the ship.  We showed up to the Jack Jack (from the Incredibles) Baby Race and cheered them on.  


Then we went to the sports bar and played television them song trivia.  After, we took our daily nap.  Seriously, we are so caught up on sleep, it's ridiculous!  That night we had dinner reservations at Remy, the french restaurant based on the movie "Ratatouille."  The food was amazingly good, better than any restaurant I've ever been to, and we were blown away.  

All in all, a beautiful trip!  It was hard coming back today.  I missed Britton badly, and I was ready to see her (I was ready days ago, really), but I didn't want to come back to cold dreary weather and more of the same work, chores, daily grind.  But it's back to work tomorrow, so I guess I'm left with only my sweet sweet memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment