Tuesday, August 21, 2012

jason's quilt


I started on Jessica's baby quilt back when we were living in Texas.  I was inspired by copied a quilt I had seen on a quilting blog (Bleu is Blue) and wanted to try my hand at triangles.  I was also intrigued by doing a quilt of solids only, and used all solids except for one white from Memaw's stash with tiny flowers.  Once I found the adorable Michael Miller pennant backing fabric, the colors were picked for me.  


I put off doing the back since I didn't know if Jessica was set on her name choice.  People tend to change  their minds later on in the pregnancy, and Jessica was no exception!  When I started the quilt she was decided on "Aiden," and later decided on "Jason."  I asked her if she was positive she was using Jason, and she assured me she was!


Other than Britton's boat dress, I don't have experience in appliqué.  I was intimidated, so I read a ton of quilting blogs on how to do it with a quilt.  I like how the name turned out!  I may use this technique on future baby quilts, because I think it just adds a nice touch. 


I straight-line quilted 1/4 inch on either side of the seam, using a pale blue thread.  The bobbin thread was white, so that the backing fabric didn't have blue running through it. 


Michael Miller "Mini Mikes Bunting Scallop Retro" fabric.  So cute, so perfect for a baby.


I finished the quilt off in a brown and white polka dot binding.  Because ya'll know I love my polka dot bindings!  The quilt now has a home hanging on Jason's crib, and I've instructed Jessica that I expect this quilt to be used!  I'd much rather Jason drag it behind him, refuse to let it ever get washed because he sleeps with it, and use it as a cuddle buddy, than fold it up and stick it in a closet. 

For Jason, Made with Love by Aunt Kiwi

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful, I'm so jealous of your sewing skills! I was musing with Randy yesterday that if I could get on that TLC show Craft Wars I would ask you to go with me since you have the sewing skills!

    ReplyDelete