Tuesday, August 28, 2012

bookcase redo

We have a wall in our house that was just screaming for a built-in bookcase.  The wall is between the hallway from the foyer and the entrance to the dining room, and is right off the breakfast nook.  This is the before (including my painting from Missy that I put there so I'd remember to take it for framing!):


I had it in my head to do the knock-off DIY built-in bookcases using the Billy bookcases from IKEA.  But I quickly figured out that it would mean cutting off the chair rail and baseboard, and a lot of other work I wasn't inclined to do.  I may be instant gratification, but I'm also admittedly lazy!  So when I went to Jessica's house, I saw her white bookcases and asked where she got them.  Target, as it turns out, and while they are each twice the price of the Billy bookcases, they do have additional molding that gives them a finished look.  Cinderella stopped by to help the hub assemble...

The hub also screwed them together so that they looked like one unit.  I tried painting the backing blue, but because the backing had some plastic coating on it, the paint refused to stick.  Now I finally have a good display place for pictures and all my cookbooks!


Once I FINALLY finish unpacking the garage, the rest of the shelves will be filled with books and pictures.  And there's also a peak of the flowers the hub had delivered for our anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment