Sunday, February 26, 2012

patchwork pretty quilt

The hub was out of town last week for a conference, so I was left to my own devices for entertainment. I don't usually want to sit the night away in front of the television, so I try to have a project to keep me busy. Last week I was able to finish my Patchwork Pretty Quilt!

It all started with this quilt that Memaw and I saw in our favorite quilt shop over the summer...



I had some hand towels that were embroidered by Granny (Mary, Josh's dad's mom), and of course they were too beautiful to ever use as hand towels. So they sat in the linen drawer, in jeopardy of never being seen, let alone used. I remembered them when I saw that quilt, and thought they would be perfect to include with patchwork blocks.

Then I found some amazing replication flour sack vintage prints on sale, and the quilt just came together from there. And here it is!



When I work on quilts at night I have to use my new HD lamp, because the sewing machine blows out every light bulb I put in it. I was moving the quilt around and noticed how when the light shines through the back of it, the colored blocks look like stained glass. And you can see the criss-cross stitching better.



The embroidery is the days of the week, each with a different fruit.




The colors just let me play, because really no color was off-limits. The patchwork squares are 3.5 inches, and every color in the rainbow. I figured it out and in total there are 378 squares in this quilt. My hand hurts thinking about cutting all of them out! The border is another 7.5 inches wide, so the quilt is pretty big. Squares, squares, and more squares!




Sadie wouldn't get off the quilt, so I guess she likes it too.



The backing was yardage I had from Memaw's stash, and the binding was (no surprise) a stripe.



The only perfect corner I've ever had with binding. I just needed the proof for myself!



I free-motion quilted the border in a loopy pattern, and snuck in one hidden shape. Do you see it below? It's a heart!



Sadie and Britton approve this quilt! And unlike most of my quilts, this one is staying in the family and in my living room. Somewhere I can see it every day. The colors make me happy and the embroidery is the icing on the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment