Thursday, December 9, 2010

putting the "pc" in christmas

The hub's mom shared her Better Homes & Gardens "Food Gifts" magazine with me, which I promptly read, tagged and copied. And as I was making "Shortbread Bars with Lemon Glaze" tonight I noticed something about a page I had copied. It was from the "Cookies" section, and I had actually copied the recipe on the left side of the page, for "Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies" (oh yeah, you know that's going to be good). And I noticed on the other side that there was a recipe for "Gingerbread People Cutouts."



Gingerbread People. Now, last I heard, it was Gingerbread Man. And it occurred to me that this just speaks to what is wrong with the world today. Okay, one thing wrong with the world. We are politically correct to the point of being incorrect.

And doesn't it seem that Christmas is when all the issues come to the surface? For instance, a Baptist church (don't get me started) in Dallas started a website with a "naughty" and "nice" list - those designations as to which stores said "Merry Christmas" and those which greeted customers with a vague "Happy Holidays." Of course, the comment section was overflowing with people saying that their pocketbooks would speak their minds. Meaning, they would not shop at stores where the employees said "Happy Holidays."

I don't get it. I really don't. Call me obtuse, and my mom certainly has many times, but I don't care if a Wal-Mart greeter wishes me a "Merry Christmas." I'm there for low prices and white trash spotting, not for church or making friends. Just like I wouldn't care if a Target cashier said "Happy Hannukah!" or "Happy Kawanza" or "Would you like to save 10% by applying for a Target credit card today?" Why are we getting so bent out of shape over what a stranger says anyways?

When did Christians get the whole month of December? Sure, get bent out of shape if the gas attendant doesn't wish you "Merry Christmas!" on December 25th, but really other than that specific day, you're not entitled to a greeting at all. So what if your waiter says "Happy Holidays"? You're lucky he's not in the kitchen spitting in your food.

So, let's quit the shenanigans with the Gingerbread People and the "Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah/Happy Kwanza/Merry Festivus/Happy Solstice" fiasco, and remember that this time of year is for being with friends and family and celebrating the year that is about to end. If you need a Wendy's drive-through worker to wish you "Merry Christmas" so badly that you will quit going to Wendy's to "teach them a lesson," why not also spend a little time examining why you need the affirmation so badly? Just a suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment