Friday, December 24, 2010

decoration expiration

The hub has a strict rule that Christmas decoration does not come out of the storage containers until, at the very minimum, Thanksgiving dinner has been eaten. I don't mind abiding because I think if given the opportunity to put up Christmas decor in early November, I would soon tire of the magic. Christmas decor should be something that excites, not something that you get used to seeing. Just as the hub has his rule, I have mine - all decor goes back into the attic after the presents are unwrapped, or whenever we get around to it that night. I suspect pricey "craft" stores came up with St. Patrick's Day ornaments and Valentine's Day ornaments and Fourth of July ornaments for those "year round" trees because they saw the need in the market - people who leave decorations up way too long, including the freaking tree.

Believe me, I'm not a grinch. I love Christmas. But I like to keep it special by not indulging for too long to where it becomes commonplace. Now, I lived in West Virginia, so I am perfectly aware of the Christmas lights left on the house all year long. That is a state tradition, so I'm not bagging on that (even though it does go against the hub's rule, which means it ruins your Christmas magic. Just so you know). But please people, once you've exited your egg nog fog, put away the tree, pull down the stockings, and pack it all up neatly in labeled boxes.

Happy Christmas Eve, ya'll! And have a very Merry Christmas!

A glimpse at the Christmas decor in our house:



Grandma picked up this apron for Britton for making cookies for Santa...



The Disney tree...which quickly got all its lower ornaments moved to the top courtesy of Britton's fascination with all things shiny...






Where to put all those Christmas cards you want to display? A pantry door and some masking tape!



The family tree, which Britton had little to no interest in...



Grandma gave me these cool plush animals that have weighted hands, so they will hang off of anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment