Sunday, March 28, 2010

gardening a-go-go

When we moved in to our house last spring, the one thing I could do without (besides the tile countertop in the kitchen) was the bare backyard. Well, we had a couple of bushes, planted around a sprawling electrical box. But there was no landscaping. And no trees.



So, the hub went out Saturday morning and bought an autumn blaze maple tree. This thing grows an average of four feet per year. But because trees are pretty pricey when you aren't buying them from the Lowe's clearance section, we could only buy one.

You like those flags around the tree? We had the utility people come out and mark the cable, electrical, etc. lines so we wouldn't mess them up when planting the tree. Turns out the lines run the perimeter of the yard, so the flower bed got moved out from the fence. And because the hub couldn't remember to buy fluorescent spray paint, despite me asking him the minute before he went to the Lowe's not 5 minutes from our house, I used the utility flags as my flower bed markers.



But the tree was lonely. So we piled in and went to TLC nursery to get flowers.





But, being instantaneous-gratification like I am, I had to have the entire project done yesterday. So I went out for mulch and a rock border. I just didn't buy enough. So then the hub went out for more mulch and more rock border.




And he even found time to plant tomatoes, jalapenos, and habanaro peppers. In two weeks, it's on to the front beds!

No comments:

Post a Comment