Wednesday, March 4, 2009

the girl

I remember when the hub and I were considering getting a dog. We had just gotten married and were in the process of looking for our first house. I called a boston terrier breeder in Ohio, bracing myself that they wouldn't have any puppies available. But they did. And on that Tuesday evening we drove to the middle of Ohio and found Sadie, her sister, and her brother. An older couple had already snagged Sadie's sister. And Sadie's brother peed on the floor and was biting, so he was out. And Sadie was just so cute and cuddly, we snapped her up, whipped out the checkbook, and drove the three hours home. We adjusted to her, the needs of a puppy, whining at 3:00 am to go outside, and paying vet bills. All things, I realize, we will need to adjust to when the baby comes. So many new things - waking and sleeping hours not dictated by work or my own desire, money spent on diapers, food, supplies, clothes, baby furniture, doctor, the delivery fees - all things not budgeted for now, and so much more. And I know, this is a baby, and that is a dog, and yes we have been spoiled to leave Sadie at home in her play yard, and now we will either need to take the baby to the store, and load up a diaper bag and stroller and bjorn, or one of us gets to stay home and the other gets to go to Wal-Mart. Alone.



So, here're some pictures of my first baby, not first-born. She will have as many adjustments as us come August, and I hate it because I can't explain it to her in words. And she won't know why - why she can't take up the entire bed sleeping, or get to play whenever she wants, or why I forgot to buy her food because my brain is in a fog. Good thing dogs get over it quickly with a belly rub and chewstick!







No comments:

Post a Comment