Monday, October 23, 2017

harry pumpkin

Every year Britton's school library has a pumpkin decorating contest.  The rules are simple - the character must be from a book, and no carving the pumpkins!  Last year we made Cinderella's coach, and it was awesome.   I just realized that I never posted about last year's pumpkin, so here it is:


This year's pumpkin character was a no-brainer because we are currently halfway through the sixth book, and yes, that my friends is our old pal Harry Potter.  



This pumpkin took a while to paint, because we had to paint in stages.  First the peach paint, then another coat (drying thoroughly between), then the black glasses, pupils, and hair.  Britton had the great idea of making the hair edge uneven to look more like real hair, and I think it looks fantastic.  We painted the pumpkin stalk up top black, since Harry Potter's hair is always described as sticking up and being unruly.  And despite Daniel Radcliffe's eye color in the movies, Harry Potter in the book is described as having green eyes (just like his mother, sigh), so we stayed true to that detail too.


I sewed the scarf out of scraps, then hot-glued it around the "mouth" section of the pumpkin.  I printed out the words that bring the Marauder's Map to life, and a phrase known to Harry Potter fans well - "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" - and we modge-podged it onto the back of his head.  The backs of the pumpkin aren't displayed, but it was a fun little nod to the book.


I made the wand out of a chopstick and some hot glue, then painted it and added gel stain.  Of all the parts, this turned out way better than I expected!  I just propped it up next to the pumpkin, so hopefully it won't be swiped in the library.


Once we were finished completely, Britton congratulated herself on a job well-done with Nella snuggles on the couch!


No comments:

Post a Comment