Thursday, June 1, 2017

second grader no more


I don't know if Britton or I was more nervous on her first day of second grade.  She was starting a new school again, and didn't know anyone.  Would she like her classmates?  Would she make friends?  Had she learned everything she needed to know, to be successful and comfortable in her new school?

I really needn't have worried, but I did.  And it took months to realize that Britton was fine, flourishing even!  With every good grade brought home, every kind note from her teachers, every playdate with new friend, every ring of the door bell when new neighborhood friends wanted to play, we both settled into this new life as a positive change.  


She's really grown this year.  Sometimes it sounds like a teenager talking to me.  She can add in her head and understands jellyfish anatomy, and I tend to forget that she's only seven years old.  I instinctually expect more from her simply because she doesn't seem so young.  But she is, and she loves playing at the playground, and lets me read Harry Potter books to her every night, and she enjoys crafting almost as much as I do.  

She's a fish in the pool, bemoans practicing the piano to where I have flashbacks of myself saying the same words, and makes up songs that catch me off guard - the tune and rhyming are fantastic.  She's almost a year younger than most of her classmates, and yet she made all As this year, and didn't miss a day of school.  I love my second grader, soon-to-be third grader!

No comments:

Post a Comment