Thursday, May 4, 2017

a big boy bed!

I admit - Barrett has been in a crib for the last 3 years and 11 months.  Well, actually, he was in a rock and play bassinet for the first 3 months of life, but that's a little specific.  My point is, yes, we had an almost four year old in a crib.  Why?  Honestly, because:
we're lazy 
we thought he'd refuse to stay in a bed like his sister 
he never tried to get out!  

We might have been a little traumatized by Britton's journey into sleeping a la bed.  When she climbed out of the crib we instantly went to the bed, and it was a never-ending struggle to get her to stay in that damn bed.  So Barrett never tried to escape, and he loved the snuggliness of his crib, and frankly, he didn't mention wanting more space.

But then he saw the big beds in his books and wanted one, so when Memaw and PawPaw came to visit over Easter, we dragged them to furniture shops.  See, Barrett's room is small and we figured he would want a daybed so it's snuggly like a big crib.  Then I checked online for daybeds with dresser drawers underneath so we could get rid of his dresser and get more space - space-saving AND storage - a win, right?  Except everything online seemed iffy and I didn't want to spend a ton of money to have to return MDF junk.  So we went to the furniture stores, and found some cute beds!  But nothing was exactly what I wanted (because one I get an idea in my mind, like a daybed with storage, I get tunnel vision).

We walked into the next furniture store and saw............the treehouse bed!  Storage - not really.  Daybed - nope.  But, it was so much fun, and I figure that trumps function.  Plus, it's a treehouse bed. The kids liked it, and we were sold.


It came with rolly storage boxes for underneath the bed, but I like the clean look without them.  The boxes wouldn't have replaced his dresser storage so they went to the garage.


Sheets are a fun blue and orange fish design from Poppy & Fritz.

Over Christmas, when everything in the free world was on sale, I stumbled on Pottery Barn Kids putting my absolute favorite bedding of all time on a ridiculous sale with free shipping.  I couldn't resist.  Barrett hasn't actually slept under the quilt yet (he still sleeps on top of the quilt with his blanket keeping him warm).  But it looks great, so all is well.


No comments:

Post a Comment