Wednesday, March 15, 2017

the katie quilt


Yet another co-worker is having a baby!  Note to self:  stop drinking the water at work!  Katie is new to the department - she joined us about 6 months ago from another department, and she is having a girl.  Katie isn't decided on a color scheme (she said the nursery is "every color") or even a name, so I went off of Katie herself.  She's from New Orleans, so I wanted soft southern colors, the kind of colors you find on antique quilts hanging on clotheslines in the front yards of humid sun-soaked Louisiana yards (descriptive, yes?).  "Strawberry Fields Revisited" was the perfect fabric line - peachy pink, coral red, sage green, butter yellow, dark mint, light tan, and espresso.  Here's a better picture of the fabrics:


I went with a traditional Irish Chain pattern, and free-motioned an interlocking heart flower stencil in the white spaces.  It provided great texture once washed and dried!


The stencil pattern I used

I originally intended to back the quilt with seersucker, because seersucker is synonymous with New Orleans.  But, the pink was just off.  Too "candy pink" when the fabric leaned towards peach.  And what's the point of putting so much work into a quilt for the backing to not be perfect?  So, I tracked down yardage of my favorite peachy flowers, and used a green seersucker for the binding!


While in Thailand, I also picked her up some little woven baby shoes with bells, and Katie was floored by both gifts.  She's due in a month but could go any day now!

No comments:

Post a Comment