Monday, October 17, 2016

mi casa: before and after

We've now been in our new home in Texas for over three months, and we're finally getting to the point of finishing touches.  When we first moved in, we had the entire house painted.  The main color is "Mindful Gray" by Sherwin Williams.  Here are some before and after pictures of the first floor!

The dining room before:


After:  paint is "Guilford Green" by Benjamin Moore, the table was my grandparents' (the chairs are Target), and the bookcase was a save from Memaw and PawPaw


The family room before:



And after!  The grid of pictures are from the Rifle Paper Company.  Sadie is of course sleeping.  We couldn't use the saddle bar stools at the island like we did in Pennsylvania, so I used them as side tables - worked like a charm, and added some warmth in the sea of white.  The rug is a bound remnant from Lowes for around $80 (it's huge!), as I don't want to invest too much money in a rug that the kids and dog will destroy.  I couldn't find any throw pillows I liked for a decent price, so I made these.  The best part?  The covers are zippered, so I can take them off and wash them!



I've always wanted built-in bookcases.  When we toured the house, I loved how the previous owners had pulled the couch off of the back wall and put a large bookcase there.  The room is large, so we had the room to put a bookcase there too.  It gives us room to display photographs, books, and trinkets, and keeps all of the kids' toys tucked away and out of sight (the ottoman holds toys too).


The foyer before:


Foyer after:  Mindful Gray paint, the arched gate in the art niche is from The Country Store and it looks small here, but is actually 50 inches tall!  The gingerbread table, mirror, and decor are the same from Pennsylvania.  We chose not to put anything on the walls upstairs so that it didn't get cluttered.


The breakfast nook (between the family room and kitchen) before:


After:  one of the biggest changes was switching out the white knobs with black iron ones I originally bought for the new bookcase cabinets.  The new hardware makes the cabinetry pop.  We bought the new table and chairs in the breakfast nook before we moved, and hoped it would fit the space - it does!  The table opens up into a square, if we need seating for eight.


The kitchen before:


The kitchen after:  ignore my mess!  Our fridge in Pennsylvania wasn't magnetic, so when I discovered that this fridge is, I went crazy and started sticking everything up on it.  We haven't filled up all the cabinets, and I hope we don't.  Not that the counters back me up, but I prefer a cleaned out kitchen.  


Formal living room before:


Formal living room after:  our catch-all room!  This is the last room we've touched, and I only just yesterday ordered a new area rug (from Wayfair) and throw pillows (from Wal-Mart).  The safe has been moved out, and we plan on selling the desk.  It holds a computer we don't use, and is filled with files we could easily move to a small filing cabinet.  In its place we'd like to get a piano, but I'm not in a rush.  Two white bookcases we had in Pennsylvania are in the corner.


That's it for now!  We've settled in well, and I'm ready to finish up the living room and downstairs half bath (no need for pictures of its bland wallpaper).

No comments:

Post a Comment