Thursday, August 4, 2016

birthday time at the aquarium


Britton chose the Houston aquarium for celebrating her birthday, and I was excited to check it out.  I was warned that it's small and can get crowded, but by going on a Tuesday we avoided most of the crowds.  And while it is small, we took our time and lingered at the tanks, so we made it through the aquarium in about an hour.



Turtles, my favorite!  I appreciated that they had so many creatures to look at.  Every tank had a new surprise.



A feeding frenzy!  As we walked by, I noticed a hand in the tank delivering food to the fish.


Barrett and Britton loved the giant fish, especially the catfish.  I was trying to get a picture of this giant fish, and the catfish totally photobombed him!




These are baby jellyfish, and they are the size of a nickel.  



Barrett especially loved the seahorses.


Not sea-related at all, the aquarium has a white Bengal tiger.  It was beautiful and absolutely majestic, though I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor tiger, being stuck indoors with field trip after field trip of kids knocking on the glass and freaking out.



We got "adventure passes," which allowed us into the stingray exhibit.  We bought some little fish to feed them, but I freaked out anytime the rays actually got near my hand!  I finally did manage to feed one ray straight from my hand.


Outside was a shark train - it went around the outdoor area, then through a clear tunnel tank full of sharks.  Fun shark fact - a sawtooth shark is a ray, not a shark!


This sawtooth was directly above us!  Doesn't he look like he's got an annoyed smirk going on, like we're bothering his nap?

Don't tell the other guys I'm not a shark, ok?

There's an outdoor area with a splash pad, carousel, and various carnival-type games.  Since it was approaching noon high temperatures, we decided to ride the marine-themed carousel then skedaddle out of there!  We went home for lunch and cake, and of course present-opening!


No comments:

Post a Comment